Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Visit to the Honeybee

Yesterday I got to Tacoma Washington to visit my "good friend," the professor. This is where I am at his house right now:
Actually, I found a much more amazing view of his location (I don't know why I never used this web site before - it's positively extraordinary!!), but I can't download the image to post here. To have a look, check out google map's satellite view.
So, I'm going to be here at Dan's place until Friday, when we will drive up to Anacortes to go to my Aunt's 60th birthday party. (Dan is being a very good sport by allowing me to introduce him to the entire family... Fortunately he is very outgoing... and I know personally that he makes very good first impressions. So he is the perfect date to bring to this family shindig).

The weather is positively mahvelous (smile)- I think I am really lucky to be visiting right now. On the way from the airport we had an awesome view of Mt. Rainier. As Dan pointed out, the volcanoe has a "Fuji-esque" type of presence, jutting up majestically in a practically perfect conical shape.

I am really impressed so far with Tacoma as a quaint little town close to the major urban hub of Seattle. I'm looking forward to having more of a look around. I especially want to go visit the Tacoma Museum of Glass. I happened to fly out on a leg from Nashville to Tacoma on Southwest sitting next to a really cool and interesting man who claims to have a piece of his own artwork on display there. According to his own description, the work is a glass structure about 300-400 feet long with pyramids shaped liked stacked cards.

Woa - in fact, I ust looked on line to see if I could find out anything more about this man's art and found a whole description of it with pictures. How amazing! I can't believe I was sitting next to this guy - apparently called Buster Simpson - on the plane! His piece is called "Incidence" (now i remember, he did tell me that) and there is a great blurb about it on the MOG website. I wish I had asked him more about his work... like what was the inspiration for this? And, how long did it take to make it?

Ah well. So far, I have had the opportunity to take in a local restaurant. Last night we went to an India place which is in walking distance of Dan's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home