Friday, September 22, 2006

cows in my routine

yesterday i noticed that i've been starting to ease into a bit of routine here at my folks lately. yesterday morning i made the second 2-hour bike ride to a nearby town called altavista with my dad. I woke up at 5:30 this time - because the first time, when Dad woke me up at 6:15 and i decided to take a shower before leaving, i unwittingly ended up being late for his unannounced 6:45 start time.

both times we rode from lynchburg to altavista, which is separated from my home by endless pastures, cows, cows and more cows, lots of hay stacks, a couple of train tracks, some ma 'n pa stores, and some woody stretches. the second trip struck me as even more beautiful than the first - and much more enjoyable too. i wasn't feeling as akward on my dad's bike anymore (i think my body must be getting used to sitting that way). however, the temperature was 40 degrees this time - brrr. my feet were pretty much frozen throughout the whole ride. but the low temperatures made for some pretty scenic pockets of fog that blended beautifully with the crisp blue skies, sunshine and green meadows!

each time, our final destination has been the Altavista YMCA, which my parents belong to. (they would rather drive - or in my dad's case, ride - the extra distance rather than pay the more exhorbitant fees at the local Y which is less than a five minute drive away!). when we get there, Dad works out (lifting weights) and i just hang out reading and chatting with all the elderly southern country folks who gather there to sip coffee, check their blood pressure, exchange news and read the papers in the mornings.

when we're done at the Y, dad and i pack our bikes into mom's truck and drive home. (mom has gotten to the Y in the meantime in order to enjoy her water aerobics and lift weights) after i get home, i eat, take a nap, and then amble out to starbucks/panera to read the new york times cover to cover and then do a chapter or two of reading that i've been meaning to catch up on all year. on the days that we don't ride the bike, i start my trip to starbucks earlier (they open at 5:30 am!)... then i've been making it my habit to yoga to this very awesome, local yoga studio...

shew, i could get used to this little lifestyle that i've begun to cultivate here.

****

but then...
....on the other hand, it just occurred to me TODAY that i am tired of living out of my suitcase. in fact, i have been on the rode for so long now that my clothing is no longer in season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home