Wednesday, December 07, 2005

完成したことを自慢してるぅ!
Feeling proud about my accomplishments

I just put this list together as part of a proposal that I am working on to solicit PAYMENT (!) for my ongoing contributions to the Sokendai Oral History and Digital Archives Project. I was officially working for the project this past summer. I say "officially" because at that time I was being paid for my contributions and involvement.

However, when the summer ended, I went home for a short vacation to the States. Then when I returned, I was no longer on the payroll because I was now in Hayama to work on my dissertation. Currently, I am a full-time student and the proud recipient of a UCLA field experience fellowship that (rightfully) expects me to spend most of my working hours on conducting my PhD research - which has just about nothing to do with the Project.

Nevertheless, despite my full-time obligations, I am still quite connected to the project... You see, the project members work right down the hall from me - and in fact, I share my office space with one of the project's post docs). Given my ongoing involvement, I am now putting together a proposal so that I might get !MONEY! for my current and future contributions. (Such as taking copious pictures and notes on the Shonan Rekishi wo Aruku Kai (The Shonan History Walking Club)).

Until I just made the list below, I had no idea that I had actually contributed this much to the project this past summer. Now that is all up on the screen, I feel like publicizing my good deeds just a little bit by publishing them here, right on my blog. Here it goes:

Past Accomplishments, Summer 2005
1) First to arrive at the Project Site, Sokendai, Hayama Campus. Assisted Professor Sharon Traweek in ordering supplies for future office.
2) Assisted Sharon Traweek in giving seminar course preparing Naoko Kato for her participation in the ROHO Advanced Oral History Summer Institute at University California, Berkeley. Major contributions to this course included:
a. Helped Professor Traweek organize framework and materials for course,
b. Participated in four two-hour tutorials on relevant terms and ideas,
c. Helped Kato-san revise several application essays
3) Compiled information regarding procedures for applying for Certificate of Eligibility and Visa to Japan.
4) Consulted with future project participants, especially Kathy Nielsen, on procedures for obtaining foreign Visa to Japan.
5) Consulted with future participants, including Sam Shah, Kathy Nielsen, and Mia Ong, on life at Sokendai, in Hayama, and in Japan.
6) Translated Kato Naoko article for publication on Project Web Site.
7) Collaborated with Sam Shah to create release/permission forms for future oral history interviews
8) Prepared for and conducted two oral history interviews with John Novembre, CPhil. Summer JSPS Scholar at Sokendai.
9) Prepared for and conducted two oral history interviews with Dr. Hirotaka Sugawara, Director General of Sokendai, and former Director of Japan's KEK Laboratory
10) Collaborated with Sam Shah on writing reports giving suggestions and describing the experience of conducting oral history interviews.
11) Compiled bibliography of Japanese publications on Science in Japan
12) Launched operating systems, and installed all new programs and hardware on project’s three Mac Computers when they arrived
13) Installed printer applications and printer networks to three Mac Computers
14) Participated actively in weekly collaboration meetings. Important contributions included:
a. Facilitated exchange of ideas on project by leading constructive critique of Kato article
b. Consulted with collaboration participants on official name for project
c. Collaborated with Sam Shah in proposing preliminary structure and goals of official web site for project
d. Designed test graphics for project
15) Compiled preliminary list of books (see Appendix I) for Project Library
16) Ordered these books for library
17) Consulted with outside colleagues to conduct research on and ultimately help order first set of digital voice recorders
18) Collaborated with Sam Shah to develop weekly reading group and reading list, designed to promote awareness and discussion about academic issues related to The Project.
19) Attended and participated actively in reading group (last 2 weeks of work)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home