Monday, June 26, 2006

Dad's front pocket


My Dad's pocket
Originally uploaded by annmerry.

As the "chronicle" entries below might indicate, we've seen lots of pretty interesting stuff in the past few days since travelling in the Philippines. But, despite all the fascinating sites to take in, I have to say that one of the most comment-worthy of them all has been travelling along right beside me, under my nose since the day we got started: my dad's front pocket!


My dad, a retired engineer, has always carried a handy repertoire of goodies in his pocket since as far back as I can remember. While growing up, without fail, the family could always rely on Dad for his convenient stash of notecards, a mechanical pencil, a comb, and often his eyeglasses case, which he faithfully kept on hand for all emergency situations.

Over the years, the contents of his pocket seem to have expanded and evolved. Yesterday, when I happened to look down and take a gander at his new collection of carry-alongs, I was surprised to find that one of his newest additions is a white, plastic spoon! (See it there, pointing off diagonally, parallel to his pen?!) My dad absolutely loves icecream, so I suppose he just wants to make sure that he will always have the proper eating utensil on hand in preparation for that next delicious bite. (Dad was, by the way, an eagle scout as a teenager. So, it seems he is continuing to model the time-honored motto - "always be prepared" - right into his silver years.)

Also, among other interesting miscellanea in that front poche of his, Dad still keeps his notecards, glasses case, comb, and writing apparatus. Apparently he has also decided to add to his stash his left-over boarding stubs, his passport, and a convenient see-through ziploc baggy with which to carry local currency. Looks handy, to be sure, I told him. But I should have added that he'd better be careful. I imagine any pickpocket would find his front pocket an even more enticing and noteworthy attraction than I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home